Bat Box CheckerGrafton Wood & Blackhouse Wood
We are looking for volunteers to help check the bat boxes at Grafton Wood and Blackhouse Wood. These surveys are led by licensed bat handlers so you’ll be helping with initial checks and may have the opportunity to see bats at close quarters whilst they’re being handled.
Need to know
You will be helping us to gather data about breeding bats in Grafton Wood and Blackhouse Wood to help feed in to our management plans for these sites.
We have bat boxes located across these two sites. These boxes need to be monitored to record whether they are being used and, if so, by what species.
The physical surveys are led by licensed bat handlers. Your role will be helping with initial checks and you may have the opportunity to see bats at close quarters whilst they’re being handled.
Experience and skills required
- Suitable for everyone with a basic level of fitness
- Interest and enthusiasm for nature and wildlife conservation
- Willingness to work outside in all weathers
- Ability to work as part of a team
- Basic use of ladders - training can be given
- Willingness to be involved in a number of tasks as directed
Days/times we would like you to be available
Monthly, usually during a weekday 10am-4pm, but this is flexible
- Learn from like-minded people about bat ecology
- Experience parts of our woodlands usually shut off to visitors
- Take advantage of opportunities to get involved further with Worcestershire Bat Group
- Have the chance to see and experience wild bats up close